PTX error when launching hashcat
#1
Hi,

I have used hashcat in the past and never encountered any error. After a few years, I reinstalled hashcat, CUDA and OpenCL on Manjaro.

When I launch hashcat like this :

Code:
./hashcat -m 2500 -a 0 hash.txt dicts/rockyou.txt --potfile-path found.txt -O

I get the following error:


Code:
Watchdog: Temperature abort trigger set to 90c cuLinkAddData(): a PTX JIT compilation failed * Device #1: Kernel /home/kajpio/development/hashcat/OpenCL/shared.cl link failed. Error Log: ptxas application ptx input, line 9; fatal  : Unsupported .version 6.5; current version is '6.4' ptxas fatal  : Ptx assembly aborted due to errors * Device #1: Kernel /home/kajpio/development/hashcat/OpenCL/shared.cl build failed.

I looked up on google and understood it has something to do with the ptx assembly ? I am not sure what is it and how should I fix the fact I have the wrong version of it.

Thank you very much for your help,

Kajpio
Reply
#2
You could try with beta from https://hashcat.net/forum
You could test this guide: https://hashcat.net/faq/wrongdriver

You should give more information about hardware etc

Only newer versions of hashcat use CUDA (beta at the time of this writings)... you could see the different devices with

hashcat -I

the output will distinguish between OpenCL and CUDA
Reply
#3
Thank you for your answer ! I didn't know I downloaded the beta of hashcat, I thought it was the stable release on github. I checked out there is no big speed improvement with CUDA compared to OpenCL. If you confirm that, maybe I will just download the latest stable binaries and build them.

Here is the output of
Code:
hashcat -I
Code:
CUDA Info: ========== CUDA.Version.: 10.1 Backend Device ID #1 (Alias: #2)   Name...........: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB   Processor(s)...: 9   Clock..........: 1784   Memory.Total...: 3011 MB   Memory.Free....: 2673 MB OpenCL Info: ============ OpenCL Platform ID #1   Vendor..: NVIDIA Corporation   Name....: NVIDIA CUDA   Version.: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 10.1.120   Backend Device ID #2 (Alias: #1)     Type...........: GPU     Vendor.ID......: 32     Vendor.........: NVIDIA Corporation     Name...........: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB     Version........: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA     Processor(s)...: 9     Clock..........: 1784     Memory.Total...: 3011 MB (limited to 752 MB allocatable in one block)     Memory.Free....: 2624 MB     OpenCL.Version.: OpenCL C 1.2     Driver.Version.: 430.64
Reply