Newbie learning how to crack a RAR3 hash.
Hi everyone, Im a newbie to hashcat. Im trying to use hashcat for a hash I got from john the ripper for a .rar file i was trying to get the password of. I have genuinely lost its password so I got hashcat so I can run it to crack the hash and get the password. Sorry for the long ramble but anyways, my issue is that I get this message when i use this command in cmd. (using hashcat on windows). 

My Command :- hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 12500 RAR3-hp -w 3 $RAR3$*0*(bunch of hash numbers here)*(and a bunch here).

Note: not putting in these "(" ")" in so don't worry lol.

and this is what i get for the output.

Output :-  Hash 'RAR3-hp': Separator unmatched
               No hashes loaded.

Am I doing something dumb? or am I missing something? when I ran the hash on john the ripper, It said this 

The command I used for JTR :- john --format=rar hash2.txt (hash2.txt is the txt file i had john the ripper save the hash in.)
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
Loaded 1 password hash (rar, RAR3 [SHA1 256/256 AVX2 8x AES])

Please help. I cannot find anything useful on youtube or on google so I thought I'd ask you all directly through here.

TLBig GrinR : I'm new and please help me check if Im doing this right lol.
There is an error in your command line. The 'RAR3-hp' is not needed and also not allowed to be there. Hashcat determines the hash mode solely based on the number which follows the -m parameter. If you leave that out, it should work just fine.
a,lso escaping of the "$RAR3$..." hash is very important... therefore I would suggest to use a hash file, instead of messing around with shell escaping directly in the command
Code:
hashcat64.exe -m 12500 -a 3 -w 3 hash.txt ?a?a?a?a?a

?a?a?a?a?a is of course your mask (change it if needed)
hash.txt is a file that contains your rar3 hash (see https://hashcat.net/wiki/example_hashes)
Hi all thankyou for your quick responses. So I tried what noReply said and it seems to be working so thankyou! and thankyou as well philsmd for your advice. It was saying this when I tried your method

hashcat64.exe -m 12500 -a 3 -w 3 hash.txt ?a?a?a?a?a
hashcat (v5.1.0) starting...

OpenCL Platform #1: NVIDIA Corporation
======================================
* Device #1: GeForce GTX 1070, 2048/8192 MB allocatable, 15MCU

Hashfile 'hash.txt' on line 1 (_super...9349a64043:0::::_supersecret.rar): Signature unmatched
No hashes loaded.

Started: Thu May 07 21:20:36 2020
Stopped: Thu May 07 21:20:36 2020

Was my input wrong? or does hashcat just not like me lol
You hash is not well formatted, have a look at https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes :
Code:
$RAR3$*0*45109af8ab5f297a*adbf6c5385d7a40373e8f77d7b89d317
You hash must look like this.
No filename nor ':'
(05-07-2020, 11:37 AM)Mem5 Wrote: You hash is not well formatted, have a look at https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes :
Code:
$RAR3$*0*45109af8ab5f297a*adbf6c5385d7a40373e8f77d7b89d317
You hash must look like this.
No filename nor ':'

Hi Mem%, thankyou. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Its working now but thankyou!