tips on cracking SHA1 hash
#1
I'm doing this for the first time.

I have a SHA1 hash with salt and looking for a password between 4 and 12 characters, that's all I know.

I'm wondering how I can minimise the keyspace, as all I can guess is the length of the password.

Are there any tips on how to best go about this?  Is it generally a good idea to use wordlists?  where do i store the wordlist file or the charset file?

my hashrate is around 3000 MH/s
Reply
#2
Quote:SHA1 hash with salt
First, choose the right mode, speed is not the same for all:
Code:
110 sha1($pass.$salt) 120 sha1($salt.$pass) 130 sha1(utf16le($pass).$salt) 140 sha1($salt.utf16le($pass))

Quote:minimise the keyspace
To achieve that, you need to have hints about charset (a-z A-Z etc)/ keyboard used ? For example, a russian keyboard is not the same as an English or a Spanish one. Any weird letters?
If you don't have any clues, I would go for wordlists + rules. If it is really random, you'll need to go for a brutefroce.
Reply
#3
Thanks so it is english letters.

How do I use a wordlist + rules?  Can you give an example?

Im thinking the first letter could be capital or a number, so how would I do that as a mask?

?H?wordlist

(09-24-2020, 10:10 AM)Mem5 Wrote:
Quote:SHA1 hash with salt
First, choose the right mode, speed is not the same for all:
Code:
110 sha1($pass.$salt) 120 sha1($salt.$pass) 130 sha1(utf16le($pass).$salt) 140 sha1($salt.utf16le($pass))

Quote:minimise the keyspace
To achieve that, you need to have hints about charset (a-z A-Z etc)/ keyboard used ? For example, a russian keyboard is not the same as an English or a Spanish one. Any weird letters?
If you don't have any clues, I would go for wordlists + rules. If it is really random, you'll need to go for a brutefroce.
Reply
#4
Code:
-a 7 -1 ?u?d hash.txt ?1 dict.txt

or rules:
Code:
-a 0 -r my.rules hash.txt dict.txt

where my.rules is
Code:
^0 ^1 ^2 ^3 ^4 ^5 ^6 ^7 ^8 ^9 ^A ^B ^C ^D ^E ^F ^G ^H ^I ^J ^K ^L ^M ^N ^O ^P ^Q ^R ^S ^T ^U ^V ^W ^X ^Y ^Z
Reply