Veracrypt Sha512 boot mode
Hi
I want to crack a Veracrypt system partition and I know that a Veracrypt boot loader is used. So I have extracted the 512 bytes hash starting with offset 31744 and now I want to choose the correct hash mode. If I understand the hash modes correctly, there are only two possible modes:
  • 13763 | VeraCrypt SHA256 + XTS 1536 bit + boot-mode
  • 13743 | VeraCrypt RIPEMD160 + XTS 1536 bit + boot-mode
So is there no boot mode possible for Sha512, Streebog-512 and Whirlpool or does hashcat not support these modes?
best advice here as always: just do the experiment.

use the version of VeraCrypt that you used to encrypt the drive and try to set up a new test hard drive...
you will immediately see what options you have and can create a test drive that you should try to test.

It's always important to get comfortable with all these steps: therefore a similar test/sample is important.

there could be many user mistakes made when extracting and cracking the "hashes", so it's important to test with a similar drive for which you know the password.

Yeah, as far as we know only a few options are available when creating boot volumes, but please verify it yourself and confirm it here. Thx

It's important to not waste your time and just do these few tests etc that can be performed quite quickly (compared to the maybe days/weeks/months of cracking etc) ... just make sure you backup your original drive and hashes etc (don't risk to lose or override any data , make backups of everything and use different drives etc).

Good luck