Help with Line-Length Exception
Hi there,

This is my first time using hashcat and I am looking for some help. I am trying to decrypt my wallet.dat hash that was created for my Dogecoin Core wallet.

I followed  along with a tutorial for a Bitcoin Core wallet.dat and was wondering if there may be some small tweaks I need to make.

Below is the command and output that I am entering. I am not sure what would be causing the issue. I just have my wallet.dat hash on the first line of the wallethash.txt file and that is it.

Any advice?

C:\Users\hashcat-4.1.0\hashcat-4.1.0>hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 11300 wallethash.txt
hashcat (v4.1.0) starting...

* Device #1: WARNING! Kernel exec timeout is not disabled.
            This may cause "CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES" or related errors.
            To disable the timeout, see: https://hashcat.net/q/timeoutpatch
OpenCL Platform #1: NVIDIA Corporation
======================================
* Device #1: GeForce GTX 1070, 2048/8192 MB allocatable, 15MCU

Hashfile 'wallethash.txt' on line 1 ($bitco...6c89d13f3f2e3f5e$61135$2$00$2$00): Line-length exception
No hashes loaded.

I am not sure how long the password for this would be so wasn't exactly sure if I formatted the command correctly. Using Haschat 4.1.0 and Python 2.7 as per the video for the Bit2John script.

Edit: I did try switching to the newest version of hashcat and it seems to be working. For the mask I just went with ?a?a?a?a?a - will this at least allow me to find out the first 5 characters of the password?

Thanks!
Was going to say, use the latest version of hashcat and see what happens but appears you already have and it is now running. The case with working with hashes is you cannot simply "split" a hash into finding specific characters or parts of it. You need to find the exact match as that is what a hash is composed of. 

So if you know your password is exactly 5 characters long than yes, your on the right track. However if you wallet password is say 28 characters long, you will not find the first 5 characters with your attack. So unless you have some idea of the password, brute forcing is not the way to go as it is very task heavy and will take decades on slower hashes.
(01-30-2021, 01:42 AM)slyexe Wrote: Was going to say, use the latest version of hashcat and see what happens but appears you already have and it is now running. The case with working with hashes is you cannot simply "split" a hash into finding specific characters or parts of it. You need to find the exact match as that is what a hash is composed of. 

So if you know your password is exactly 5 characters long than yes, your on the right track. However if you wallet password is say 28 characters long, you will not find the first 5 characters with your attack. So unless you have some idea of the password, brute forcing is not the way to go as it is very task heavy and will take decades on slower hashes.

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any tips as to what else I may be able to try? The thing is that I honestly never recall setting a password for this wallet and have tried all of the things I would normally use in many variations but still have not had any luck.