vBulletin Salt Length
Hi atom,

I just had another request whether it would be possible to allow all vbulletin type hashes and salt with ONLY 3 char salts AND 30 char salts (no 4 char or 28 char etc.) Currently, it seems they are separate but to memory the both are the same hashing type.

Sometimes, I load hashConfusedalt from my forum which was vbulletin 3 but updated to vbulletin 4 and they contain both hashConfusedalts with 3 characters and 40 characters. Maybe a option for vBulletin hashes and when select a popup asking e.g. "3 char only | 30 char only | Both |"?

I don't know but it would reduce the two vbulletin < 3.8.5 an vbulletin > 4 to one and much easier and compatible with both types of salts.

Thanks and regards! Smile
You can easily do this with some excel fu. What you are asking for is a work around for laziness.
Yes it's definitely for laziness but when I'm dealing with large dbs + other specific programs, this becomes a hassle. It would be a nice addition.
The problem is that both require their own module/kernel because there are different optimizations. While for vb3 hashes two rounds of md5 are sufficient, vb4 hashes needs three rounds because of the long salt. Therefore there cannot be a single kernel for both types.
(03-18-2012, 01:32 PM)Kakoose Wrote: Yes it's definitely for laziness but when I'm dealing with large dbs + other specific programs, this becomes a hassle. It would be a nice addition.

lots of people deal with large db's. fact is cleaning your list is part of auditing the passes.
(03-18-2012, 03:06 PM)undeath Wrote: The problem is that both require their own module/kernel because there are different optimizations. While for vb3 hashes two rounds of md5 are sufficient, vb4 hashes needs three rounds because of the long salt. Therefore there cannot be a single kernel for both types.

Thats correct. Its the reason why there are two kernels. Sorry, but I can not fuse them.
(03-18-2012, 07:20 PM)atom Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 03:06 PM)undeath Wrote: The problem is that both require their own module/kernel because there are different optimizations. While for vb3 hashes two rounds of md5 are sufficient, vb4 hashes needs three rounds because of the long salt. Therefore there cannot be a single kernel for both types.

Thats correct. Its the reason why there are two kernels. Sorry, but I can not fuse them.

Ah, I see. I know of another program (PassP) that is able to do both salt lengths is this cause it doesn't optimize the speed of each salt length and hashcat does or because it uses a different method of cracking (does it?) ? Sorry, I'm not sure with the technical details of it, just wondering.

PWP needs to do this, too. It just automates the process internally.
Ah, so no way hashcat may be able to do it internally (in the near future, maybe)?
not planned