Question:Dual-GPUs?
Hi

I want to speedup my cracking so i decided to have two GPU's.

What is the best motherboard that can hold two GTX 580?
use asus rampage III with i7 cpu 2gb memory and a 850watts corsair PSU...

but then again change your card to 5970, someone told me its much faster than 580..

Yeah, i myself just changed cards from nvidia to ati (same price-range) and the ati's are almost 3 times faster for most types of hashes...
(08-17-2011, 09:48 AM)Gajan Wrote: Yeah, i myself just changed cards from nvidia to ati (same price-range) and the ati's are almost 3 times faster for most types of hashes...

Maybe for single hash, or small numbers. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.
(08-17-2011, 04:28 PM)radix Wrote: Maybe for single hash, or small numbers. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

Example: for a file with 50 000+ hashes (DES/same salt).
With them nvidia a uld7-run took about 23 hours.
(uld7 = uppercases/lowercases & digits & 7 characters long words)
The *EXACT* same run takes 9 hours with the ATI cards.
And both cards costs almost exacly the same.
(GeForce GTX560 Ti - Radeon HD 6950)

And i got similar results for all types of hashes i tried.

So please radix, tell me what you know that i dont.
(08-17-2011, 05:17 PM)Gajan Wrote:
(08-17-2011, 04:28 PM)radix Wrote: Maybe for single hash, or small numbers. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

Example: for a file with 50 000+ hashes (DES/same salt).
With them nvidia a uld7-run took about 23 hours.
(uld7 = uppercases/lowercases & digits & 7 characters long words)
The *EXACT* same run takes 9 hours with the ATI cards.
And both cards costs almost exacly the same.
(GeForce GTX560 Ti - Radeon HD 6950)

And i got similar results for all types of hashes i tried.

So please radix, tell me what you know that i dont.

50k, babies first cracking attempt.
(08-17-2011, 04:28 PM)radix Wrote: 50k, babies first cracking attempt.

Hahaha... you are fun... is that your only argument ? How old are you ?

Here's another fun thing when comparing 4 GTX480 against only 3 radeon HD 6950 (exactly the same run: 6494 md5-hashes / -1 ?l?d ?1?1?1?1 ?1?1?1?1)

GTX480:
Speed.GPU*: 4380.7M/s
Estimated.: 10 mins, 43 secs

HD6950
Speed.GPU*...: 7335.9M/s
Estimated....: 6 mins, 24 secs

And if we then compare the costs of the cards:

4 * GTX480 (about 580$) = 2320$
3 * HD6950 (about 330$) = 990$

And oh yeah, those numbers on the GTX480 comes from yourself...
You are still talking about a small number of hashes. Maybe for your endless opencrack bruteforces that will get you by, but for people that crack with a purpose on real lists (50k is nothing btw) AMD falls flat.

GTX 480 for $580 bucks. You're kidding right? Then, comparing that to a later model card from AMD. Let me teach you a few things:

Reference GTX 480 will cost you 300 bucks:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814500156

Reference GTX 570 (more comparable to the 6950) 320 bucks:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130621

Now lets take into account a couple other things. Drivers are more stable with nvidia, cards are less finicky, other GPGPU apps have better support for CUDA, while almost nothing natively supports Stream, just OpenCL.

The statistics that are listed on the downloads page are skewed since they are based on a single hash. Again, I will not contest that single hash (or < 100k) is faster. Put your cards up against md5crypt and see how they fair, then put them up against over 100k and shed a tear.

Ah, so because you run 100k of md5crypt hashes (and think everyone in this forum do just that) you tell folks that they dont know what they are talking about. I never claimed beeing anything but a n00b, but i sure know what diffrence it made for me when replacing nvidia for ati. And thats all i been saying.

So you can teach me all you want and say the numbers are skewed, but the numbers i wrote when comparing GTX480 against HD6950 aint from no download-page. Those are real numbers. Yours & mine. And they aint on a single hash either. The fact is that on that run (6494 md5-hashes) you need 7 nvidia cards to match 3 ati.

Even if you got both cards to the same prices (and what prices i found aint correct for your country) i still would go for the ATI based on what i run. Regardless of whatever you call me.
You are quite daft. Considering that both your examples have been of a low usage bruteforce, I can only assume that you do not explore other options. It's alright though, you keep cracking the pastebin posts!