oclHashcat-plus-0.09b16 100% Fan at 70c
Using Win7 Ultimate 32bit ATI HD5870 Card Driver Package Version 8.961 OpenGL Version 6.14

I am testing v0.09 and I have noticed that my fan is spinning at 100% even though my temperature is at 70c.

I read in the change log .....

Quote:type: feature
file: host programs
desc: added --gpu-temp-retain to try retain temperature at NUM degrees celsius
cred: m4tr1x

Can I assume that if the user doesn't specify a temperature that the default is set to 100% regardless of temperature ?

I cannot find any further instruction for this feature, unless I am not looking hard enough.

My card always runs at about 70c-72c with previous versions of oclHashcat-plus which means my fan is at about 50-60% which is much quieter !!! Occasionally the fan speed increased but then dropped back.

Is there away to make this automatic again ? I am tempted to enter the new command --gpu-temp-retain 71 but I am concerned I may fry my card if this is wrong.

Thank you.
New Feature: https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-1237-po...ml#pid6746
(06-05-2012, 12:43 PM)atom Wrote: New Feature: https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-1237-po...ml#pid6746

Big Grin thought so, thank you for the reply.

Is 70c high ? I would have thought that was quite normal or even low for this sort of thing.

Wouldn't a higher default be better ? 72c-74c ? Just a suggestion as I don't know exactly what temp things should run at but it would save users having to input an additional command.
OK, I will increase to 80c
(06-05-2012, 06:09 PM)atom Wrote: OK, I will increase to 80c

Thank you for thinking about it for me but I don't really know what would be the best temperature.

If you think 80c would be ok then I will go along with it, I am no expert !

I do however think 80c will save many people from having to input another parameter each time. As far as I can tell 80c isn't dangerous anyway.

Thanks.

EDIT..

Just tried it at 80c and it was great. My fan was back at normal speed and my temp was 72c constant. Much better and quieter.

Thanks.
If not a secret - monitoring goes directly communicating with sensors by SPI or by invoking amdconfig? Reason why I'm asking: possibility to see other temps and some day possibility to invoke custom command (maybe lower clocks). In this way people with watercooling will be not forgotten.
Neither, AMD Display Library is used to monitor temp, fan speed, etc.