Effective rules
#1
I started off with two rules. One comes with oclHashcat - the other I wrote myself. I then compiled a
huge list of MD5 hashes from the InsidePro forums to use as my target/testing hash list.

For the base dictionary, I merged/sorted/removed dupes between the rockyou dictionary
and passwords from the recent 10 million combo leak. The final dictionary can be downloaded
here for the curious.

I ran my two rules against these hashes with this dictionary and these were the results.

Code:
passwordspro.rule (~3300 rules) - 42.52% tony.rule (~5500 rules) - 49.44%

I outputted all rules that had a match into a file called match.rule. I then sorted
this file based on occurence and made the following rules out of it. The different sizes could
be useful if time is of essence and/or the hashing algorithm is slow. You could also obviously
head the amount of rules that you want from the top_5000.rule instead.

I done some testing on the same list, and these were the results.

Code:
no rules - 14.67% found best 64 - 17.71% found top_250.rule - 36.14% found top_500.rule - 39.64% found top_750.rule - 41.91% found top_1500.rule - 45.76% found top_3000.rule - 48.77% found

I realize that the rule set will be kind of biased towards this specific list since it was created
using found passwords from this list. So for further testing, I compiled a list of 1 million hashes
using random passwords from a totally separate HQ cleartext (not cracked!) password leak. These
were the results.

Code:
$ shuf ***.dic | head -n1000000 > random.dic $ ./md5gen random.dic > random.lst

Code:
no rules - 8.23% found best 64 - 31.42% found top_250.rule - 42.97% found top_500.rule - 48.16% found top_750.rule - 50.97% found top_1500.rule - 55.80% found top_3000.rule - 60.59% found


The rules can be downloaded here.


Messages In This Thread
Effective rules - by TonyS - 04-13-2015, 06:05 PM
RE: Effective rules - by atom - 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: Effective rules - by TonyS - 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM
RE: Effective rules - by Hash-IT - 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Effective rules - by atom - 04-14-2015, 05:40 PM
RE: Effective rules - by dikiy - 08-25-2015, 07:45 PM
RE: Effective rules - by ati6990 - 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM
RE: Effective rules - by cvsi - 08-25-2015, 11:35 PM
RE: Effective rules - by ati6990 - 08-28-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: Effective rules - by djhenry1981 - 07-14-2016, 11:55 PM
RE: Effective rules - by remma12 - 12-23-2016, 03:53 PM
RE: Effective rules - by cityscab - 12-24-2016, 01:53 PM