illegal hardware instruction
Hello,

I have made a USB disk with a persistent The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali).
I managed to boot on it on a forgotten computer at my job.
Unfortunately hashcat don’t run on it.
It doesn’t initialize the backend and says : illegal hardware instruction.

I am not a tech guy. Is it possible that a CPU/computer is restrained through some kind of hardware setting ?

Thanks
(05-12-2021, 11:02 AM)JuanPelota Wrote: Hello,

I have made a USB disk with a persistent The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)).
I managed to boot on it on a forgotten computer at my job.
Unfortunately hashcat don’t run on it.
It doesn’t initialize the backend and says : illegal hardware instruction.

I am not a tech guy. Is it possible that a CPU/computer is restrained through some kind of hardware setting ?

Thanks

see
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-10074.html
i dont think, that hashcat runs without proper drivers / setup inside a live distribution (basic drivers), you could try to install/setup (pocl, cuda or something else needed) due to your usb-persistence but i dont expect that hashcat will run fluid
(05-12-2021, 03:12 PM)Snoopy Wrote: [quote="JuanPelota" pid='52565' dateline='1620810133']
Hello,

see
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-10074.html
i dont think, that hashcat runs without proper drivers / setup inside a live distribution (basic drivers), you could try to install/setup (pocl, cuda or something else needed) due to your usb-persistence but i dont expect that hashcat will run fluid

Ok I see, so maybe The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) was not a good starting point ? I just followed an advice since I don’t know shit in this world just learning and playing around to recover an old wallet like so many fellow noobs.

The CPU on the computer is an Intel Pentium G4400 with Open CL 1.2. I guess this is not a super classic one ?
well, using live distributions and/or vms is more likely the problem due to driver problems / hardware restrictions

just for "testing" or to see if you can manage to start the attack, a precompiled windows binary of hashcat would be the best starting point, even with a more or less actual laptop cpu (intel cpu) hashcat will most likey just run out of the box (if opencl drivers are installed)

bruteforcing will be resultin in "forget it" (any CPU) but if you have a wordlist of your passwords used you may be able to recover your pw
(05-12-2021, 03:41 PM)Snoopy Wrote: well, using live distributions and/or vms is more likely the problem due to driver problems / hardware restrictions

just for "testing" or to see if you can manage to start the attack, a precompiled windows binary of hashcat would be the best starting point, even with a more or less actual laptop cpu (intel cpu) hashcat will most likey just run out of the box (if opencl drivers are installed)

bruteforcing will be resultin in "forget it" (any CPU) but if you have a wordlist of your passwords used you may be able to recover your pw

Thanks for your help.

On this PC the windows binaries don’t work either. With -I it shows only the Nvidia GPU and no CPU info.
I have nevertheless tried to force to another device (to use the CPU) with -D without success.

So it’s game over for this machine.
if it dont show the cpu with -I then the opencl runtime is missing (you can download it from intel, the last version i found in my download folder opencl_runtime_18.1_x64_setup.msi
(05-12-2021, 03:41 PM)Snoopy Wrote: well, using live distributions and/or vms is more likely the problem due to driver problems / hardware restrictions

Thanks for your help.

On this PC the windows binaries don’t work either. With -I it shows only the Nvidia GPU and no CPU info.
I have nevertheless tried to force to another device (to use the CPU) with -D without success.

So it’s game over for this machine.
(05-12-2021, 04:26 PM)Snoopy Wrote: if it dont show the cpu with -I then the opencl runtime is missing (you can download it from intel, the last version i found in my download folder opencl_runtime_18.1_x64_setup.msi

Thanks

Since I don’t have admin rights on this desktop computer I think I will not be able to do this but thanks for the info
nice setup

no admin rights -> checked, but you were able to start the mashine from a bootable usb stick? i hope that at least the hardddrives are encrypted Big Grin