gpu question
Hello, what gpu has the best price/performance?

greetings
Tori
Compare https://www.onlinehashcrack.com/tools-be...0-4090.php
ok thanks and what is with amd?
(03-05-2023, 09:20 AM)tori Wrote: Hello, what gpu has the best price/performance?

greetings
Tori

Absolutely by far the 2080Ti is the best value $:hasrate card. At around $400 USD secondhand or less they are almost on par with the 3080 on a hashcat bench test. Some hashmodes beat the 3080 some are a little less.

Two 2080Ti's will outdo an overpriced 4080 by about 15% ....
Greetings hackers crackers,

I wanted to create a new thread but since I saw Tori's thread . . I figured out I'd ask my question here since it is a bit similar. What should I look for in a GPU to be used with hashcat? number of CUDA cores? Tensor cores? Integer or Floating point processing power? VRAM or higher clock frequency?
I don't want to spend my money on a card that doesn't serve the purpose (RTX4000 series is out of the question, too expensive for me)
I read some old threads (from 2013-2014) that AMD GPU is better than NVIDIA for hashcat due to OpenCL vs CUDA
is it still the case in 2023?

Thank you
Currently, the RTX 2080Ti is the most cost-effective
(03-10-2023, 11:13 PM)marc1n Wrote: Currently, the RTX 2080Ti is the most cost-effective
Why?
I am asking about the factors to look for in a GPU not the cost of the card.
I mentioned the RTX4000 series because it is unreasonably priced.
Is this in correlation to being $/H or what are you looking for in an answer?  If you look at the amount of threads recently in regards to AMD cards and the struggles of HIP and AMD Adrenaline drivers, Nvidia simply works out of the box on several fronts. So as Marcin has suggested the 2080 TI being the best bang for the buck being a USED card and going out on a limb of buying something second hand. 

As for how to determine which graphics card it suitable for you, you have to overlook more than just $/H but also power draw, how much space and cooling you can provide to your card(s) and also longevity. How long do you plan on running attacks for? What type of hashes are you attacking. Maybe the hashes you are attacking aren't capable of using a GPU for its advantage but rather a CPU works better in that case. 

If you think the RTX 4000 series is out of your budget, have you looked at comparisons? There is plenty of benchmarks available within this forum and also on github. Do the research, find what meets your capabilities and go from there.

From my experience, I have never had issues setting up systems with Nvidia components. I had previously used AMD back in the day which also never gave me issues back in Hashcat OCL days, but I haven't tried since but accounting from the amount of messages this forum gets for AMD issues I can say that you most likely will run into complications with that path.
(03-11-2023, 07:50 PM)slyexe Wrote: Is this in correlation to being $/H or what are you looking for in an answer?  If you look at the amount of threads recently in regards to AMD cards and the struggles of HIP and AMD Adrenaline drivers, Nvidia simply works out of the box on several fronts. So as Marcin has suggested the 2080 TI being the best bang for the buck being a USED card and going out on a limb of buying something second hand. 

As for how to determine which graphics card it suitable for you, you have to overlook more than just $/H but also power draw, how much space and cooling you can provide to your card(s) and also longevity. How long do you plan on running attacks for? What type of hashes are you attacking. Maybe the hashes you are attacking aren't capable of using a GPU for its advantage but rather a CPU works better in that case. 

If you think the RTX 4000 series is out of your budget, have you looked at comparisons? There is plenty of benchmarks available within this forum and also on github. Do the research, find what meets your capabilities and go from there.

From my experience, I have never had issues setting up systems with Nvidia components. I had previously used AMD back in the day which also never gave me issues back in Hashcat OCL days, but I haven't tried since but accounting from the amount of messages this forum gets for AMD issues I can say that you most likely will run into complications with that path.

I never mentioned the money . . I only stated the 4000 series from a money perspective because it is way overpriced as a GPU regardless for what task it is going to be used for. In other terms my question is more "technologically" related rather than financial.

Using a GPU for Mining differes from using it for cracking or gaming.
My question is what Hashcat benefits from the most (feature wise) in a GPU that is going to be used for cracking
my English was clear enough in my previous post . . I wasn't asking about the price at all but about features and technologies that hashcat uses in a GPU. Based on answers, I can know which GPU or more than one GPU to get for my cracking build.
You want many useful cores(this is actually not so simple with the split FP/INT pipelines in modern architectures), with high clock speeds. Depending on the algorithm, it can also matter how much cache(L1/L2/L3) the GPU has. VRAM is generally only important for knowing how many hashes you can load in 1 shot and the different VRAM types and configurations will be more algorithm specific like cache and not so easy to compare. Depending on the generation, you also care about architectural differences such as added/missing instructions and changes to the computing pipelines. So really, there is no simple answer to "what matters most to hashcat" and it is highly dependent on what algorithm you are running and what attack.

To cover some other topics that have come up briefly in this thread:
Yes, the 2080Ti is probably the best overall performance per dollar with it's current USED market price.
If you are buying new GPUs, the 4090 is _by far_ the best GPU you can buy AND is also the best _deal_ as well. The 4090 offers the best overall performance, the best performance per watt, and even the best performance per dollar of any new GPU, assuming you can get one down near the base MSRP. Obviously purchasing at MSRP has been a problem, so it may not be the best performance per dollar in the "real world" but it remains so on paper. It may seem unreasonably priced to some, but it should really only take 1 look at the actual performance to change that view.