to build a brute force machine
Hello to everybody. I'm a new user on this forum. I planing to build brute force machine using:
MB GA-MA785GT-UD3H ,
2x AMD Radeon 7970 Gigabyte,
8GB DDR3 1600,
CPU Amd Phenom II X550.

My questions is:
1. Is this a good combination, because I allready own this mb,memory and cpu, and my MB support only PCIe 2.0 and the VGA I want to buy is supporting 3.0? Will I loose some speed in calculation because of PCIe 2.0 ?
2. What OS should I use for better performance ?

Thanks in advance
Soo you wanna go to crack sl3 with this machine ?
2 7970 are a nice combination , also the motherboard is ok , i use the ud7 and the gigabyte series roxxx.
Ram and cpu are not necessary for bf , cauz its oly 99% use of gpu and 1 of cpu.

win7 64 prof is my favorite...
but to have a hardcore stable system you cant use windows....
arch linux i prefere or slackware kickass performance.
hardware combination looks good. you will not lose performance using a pci-e 3.0 card in a pci-e 2.0 slot, no. not for what we do, anyway. for the os, we officially recommend ubuntu 12.04 lts. check out https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto
(01-17-2013, 07:55 PM)ati6990 Wrote: Soo you wanna go to crack sl3 with this machine ?
2 7970 are a nice combination , also the motherboard is ok , i use the ud7 and the gigabyte series roxxx.
Ram and cpu are not necessary for bf , cauz its oly 99% use of gpu and 1 of cpu.

win7 64 prof is my favorite...
but to have a hardcore stable system you cant use windows....
arch linux i prefere or slackware kickass performance.

Thanks for the fast aswer.
Yes, SL3 crack and I'm want to learn little more about WPA craking .
Untill now I use,just beginer level, Backtrack 5,and as I know it's based on Ubuntu, so maybe backtrack do the job?
(01-17-2013, 08:10 PM)epixoip Wrote: hardware combination looks good. you will not lose performance using a pci-e 3.0 card in a pci-e 2.0 slot, no. not for what we do, anyway. for the os, we officially recommend ubuntu 12.04 lts. check out https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

Thank you for quick answer and usefull link.
This forum is verry good !
All the best!
You are aware that SL3 is no longer supported in any current version of Hashcat, correct?
(01-18-2013, 12:15 AM)Bitweasil Wrote: You are aware that SL3 is no longer supported in any current version of Hashcat, correct?

Yes Sad, but in some older version is supported, and 2nd important thing is wpa and that is supported Smile
Well, in my opinion, Backtrack is not a good choice at all. Backtrack, even its latest version is based on pretty old version of Ubuntu (it's linux 2.6, isn't it first Ubuntu release version 4.10 ? Big Grin). As was mentioned higher, you should use Ubuntu 12.04 or another distro with same kernel version. It's pretty stable and it allows you use best drivers version, Catalyst 12.8.
(01-20-2013, 09:27 PM)Kuci Wrote: Well, in my opinion, Backtrack is not a good choice at all. Backtrack, even its latest version is based on pretty old version of Ubuntu (it's linux 2.6, isn't it first Ubuntu release version 4.10 ? Big Grin). As was mentioned higher, you should use Ubuntu 12.04 or another distro with same kernel version. It's pretty stable and it allows you use best drivers version, Catalyst 12.8.

Thx for the answer. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 Smile
..one more question...I'm not a Linux master, so the question is: Can I prepare (install,configure etc) machine with another Ati card (hd 5670), and after just to plug the new hd 7970 ?