Performance
(01-26-2013, 05:27 PM)Kuci Wrote: Intel Xeon X5650: 6 cores, 12 threads. To sum up, you have two 64bit CPUs with total amount of 12 cores and 24 threads. So, install x86_64 system and use hashcat-cli64 binary with 24 threads.

What if I can't install a 64 bit system? It's a VPS so I can't do that. Any ideas?
Why couldn't you install x86_64 system on VPS ? Try your previous command with '-n 24'.
(01-26-2013, 11:52 PM)Kuci Wrote: Why couldn't you install x86_64 system on VPS ? Try your previous command with '-n 24'.

Because a friend of mine is lending it to me and I just can't reinstall everything. Any other suggestions besides -n 24?
Also note that -m 2611 is an iterated algorithm, not raw md5. Speed is at least twice as slow, maybe more.
(01-27-2013, 09:45 AM)atom Wrote: Also note that -m 2611 is an iterated algorithm, not raw md5. Speed is at least twice as slow, maybe more.

Indeed, but I expected it to be much faster. Using Hashcat CPU on my own PC (a high-end laptop) I'm getting around 25M/s so I thought that on a VPS running that incredible processor would be much faster instead of just being twice as fast.
Well, then just start hashcat with standart amount of 8 threads (don't force number of threads with -n or --threads) and let us know how it's going.
Trying wth standard amount of threads

Input.Mode: Mask (?a?a?a?a?a)
Speed/sec.: - plains, 24.36M words

Command was: ./hashcat-cli32.bin -m 2611 hash.txt -a 3 ?a?a?a?a?a?a

On my PC (a laptop) I'm getting
Speed/sec.: - plains, 19.65M words

Why am I getting almost the same on a laptop than on a VPS with a business processor with much more power?
VPS are normally on a shared host with many VPS running.
right. you're using shared resources, and most vps providers make heavy use of oversubscription so that they can put a large number of virtual machines on a single host. you're probably only getting 1/8 of 1 core of that "business processor."
i just read back through where you stated you have "24 Intel Xeon X5650." what this probably means is that the /virtual host/ has 2x X5620, for a total of 12 physical cores and 12 logical cores via hyperthreading.

what your vps provider then does is figures out the 95%ile load over a given period to determine how many virtual machines they can squeeze onto each virtual host. typically they will determine they are able to create 2x-3x more virtual machines than the number of cores in the system -- usually counting hyperthreading "cores" as well. so on a 24 core host there are probably 48-72 virtual machines all sharing resources.