Installing Hashcat - Lubuntu
Hey everyone. I've had quite a problems trying to get Hashcat installed. I can't find directions anywhere. I have searched the forums, and I have searched Google in hopes of finding an answer. It doesn't seem like the powers that be actually want me to install it!! Big Grin

I was having trouble using it in The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux as well. The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) comes with Hashcat, but when I tried to run it on that machine, it tells me that Hashcat is outdated, and it instructs me to install an updated version.

When I try an apt-get install Hashcat command, it tells me I have the latest version. Am I correct in assuming that my repository for Hashcat is out of date?

Where can I find a current repository?

OR

How can I install Hashcat from the 7zip file I downloaded from the official site? I'm staring at an open folder window with hashcat 0.47 files displayed, but I do not know where to go from here.

Thank you!
Just extract the 7zip anywhere you like and run hashcat from there. Just make sure the user you are executing hashcat with has rights to write into that folder.
The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)'s hashcat does work... You might want to check your sources.list to see if you have all the correct repositories. Secondly, you can extract and install anywhere.. I would suggest using /opt for it.. Then symlinking an executable in /usr/bin /usr/sbin with the correct executable in the folder so you can just type in:

oclhashcat
OR
hashcat

In terminal without having to goto that folder all the time.
(04-19-2014, 02:57 AM)tweston1 Wrote: When I try an apt-get install Hashcat command, it tells me I have the latest version.

did you run apt-get update before?