why do you think that multiple 5970 fry motherboards?
Noticed here some of you said that multiple 5970s will fry motherboards because they are not "pcie compliant".

Will that happen even if you have adequate power supply?
If yes, what's the adequate power supply 4 5970s need to guarantee they won't fry the motherboard?

Saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MrTMZlcss.

So, did he had his motherboard fried?

Is there anyway to avoid the motherboard getting fried?
It's not connected to the PSU. The extra power connectors on the cards are simply not sufficient to power the card. Therefor the cards draw excessive additional power from the PCIe socket (path of least resistance), violating the specifications and causing the motherboard to take damage.

The solution to avoid frying your motherboard is not using such cards.
(06-11-2017, 12:34 AM)undeath Wrote: It's not connected to the PSU. The extra power connectors on the cards are simply not sufficient to power the card. Therefor the cards draw excessive additional power from the PCIe socket (path of least resistance), violating the specifications and causing the motherboard to take damage.

The solution to avoid frying your motherboard is not using such cards.

Thanks, will this still happen if you only use 2 5970s?
I apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm a beginner.
I'm not sure why you would want to specifically use 5970s in the first place. I'm not even sure AMD still supports those (and consequently hashcat). Granted, even newer high-end AMD cards have this problem.

If you only run two cards and are not running 24/7 you are relatively unlikely to fry your board. However, I recommend buying recent Nvidia cards over those broken-ass AMD ones if you want to do hashcracking.
VLIW is deprecated, HD 5970 is no longer supported.
Looks as though the incoming crop of Vega cards may continue this tradition:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/...ower-draw/

MSI already looking to tame its power consumption.
This isn't new. I've been screaming this for years and very few people have listened. Back in January I was warning that Vega is electrically a much higher wattage card than advertised. People just wanted to argue with me.

So, here we are, once again:

[Image: toldyall.jpg]
(06-26-2017, 06:49 PM)epixoip Wrote: This isn't new. I've been screaming this for years and very few people have listened. Back in January I was warning that Vega is electrically a much higher wattage card than advertised. People just wanted to argue with me.

So, here we are, once again:

[Image: toldyall.jpg]

I even said this in my talk at Derbycon 2015, I got so many haters for it.  Don't use AMD, that crap fries boards.