bitcoin mining vs password cracking?
i know this is not a password cracking topic so that is why i am asking in general.

i have a geforce gtx 960 gpu and i was wondering since bitcoin uses sha-256 hashes can i use the hashcat benchmark result  to have an idea of bitcoin mining?

yes there are bitcoin miners that use nvidia gpu but unfortunately google search does not show the bitcoin sha-256 results.

if anyone here has done bitcoin mining and can report their results for both password cracking and bitcoin mining it could potentially save me installing windows or ethos just to be pulling my hair out.
Bitcoin actually uses 2 rounds of SHA256 so you would need to benchmark sha256(sha256()) to compare it properly. On a more important note, bitcoin mining on a 960 will probably yield pennies per year. You won't make anything mining bitcoin on a GPU, especially a 960.
You're probably better off just running a benchmark for your specific setup, or using tools like https://whattomine.com/
~
do you know of any benchmark software?
the test did not even work because even after i trusted the certificates and applet i got some exception error when i clicked the start button.

looks like i will have to try ethos.

does anyone know if they really send out the goat if you run un paid for copes?

i have a friend with ethos digital download i could test.
>does anyone know if they really send out the goat if you run un paid for copes?

I may have just had a stroke.... What?
(10-03-2017, 08:32 PM)Chick3nman Wrote: >does anyone know if they really send out the goat if you run un paid for copes?

I may have just had a stroke.... What?

it is a way for me to test the hashrate of the card without having to buy only to have a $50 paperweight
You should probably be asking these questions on the mining forums...
i tried google but no one showed for sha-256 and all i wanted to know is the hashrate of a gtx960
(10-04-2017, 04:05 PM)ejonesss Wrote: i tried google but no one showed for sha-256 and all i wanted to know is the hashrate of a gtx960

Based on some estimations I just made, I'd expect between 350-400MH/s for your 960.

You would be making ~ 0.00000009 BTC per day. At current price, that's $0.14 per YEAR.