Prepend phrase + bruteforce
Smile 
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to brute force a longer password of an unknown length. I probably know how the password starts, but then I need to brute force an additional 7-10 more charcters.

Is there a mode or way to prepend my guess / what I have in front of the brute forcing?

I didn't seem to find what I was looking for after reading through attack modes and the docs. I probably missed it or didn't understand.

Thanks for your help and patience!
Yep, use attack mode 3 and then your guess and then a mask. So if you need 7-10 more chars, you can do:

-a3 guess?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a --increment --increment-minimum=7

But if you don't know anything about those chars, the a will take a long time. That's a lot of possibilities. If you can narrow that down at all, to specific chars, upper/lower, digits, that'll be a lot faster.
(05-22-2018, 04:13 PM)plaverty9 Wrote: Yep, use attack mode 3 and then your guess and then a mask. So if you need 7-10 more chars, you can do:

-a3 guess?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a --increment --increment-minimum=7

But if you don't know anything about those chars, the a will take a long time. That's a lot of possibilities. If you can narrow that down at all, to specific chars, upper/lower, digits, that'll be a lot faster.

Thank you for your quick help! Yeah I figure that will probably take some time.. I'm trying to brute / remember my dogecoin wallet password from 4 years ago. I didn't do password vaults then, rookie mistake.

I'd just be guessing, but it may be that the password is some combo of upper / lower case letters and numbers, but not symbols. Is there a way to take what you've given me and adjust it to ignore symbols?
Yep, use:

-a3 -1 ?u?l?d guess?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 --increment --increment-minimum=7

But seriously, it could take years. The more characters you can remember, the shorter it'll be.
(05-22-2018, 04:52 PM)plaverty9 Wrote: Yep, use:

But seriously, it could take years. The more characters you can remember, the shorter it'll be.

You are the man!

My hope is to try out different base guesses plus shorter guesses and over time with trial and error eventually stumble upon it. I have quit a few guess and combos to try. So I'm trying to learn hashcat as best I can to tinker and get it on a lucky, persistent effort.
(05-22-2018, 05:07 PM)WhalingWizard Wrote:
(05-22-2018, 04:52 PM)plaverty9 Wrote: Yep, use:

You are the man!

My hope is to try out different base guesses plus shorter guesses and over time with trial and error eventually stumble upon it. I have quit a few guess and combos to try. So I'm trying to learn hashcat as best I can to tinker and get it on a lucky, persistent effort.

Good luck, I hope you get it!