Estimate Time Is Super Slow
Laptop specs: 
=======
i7 8550 8th Gen Quad Core
16GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce MX-150

So here is my issue. I'm running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux on virtualbox. And I'm trying to crack my WiFi. At 1st my hash cracking estimated time was amazingly slow (300k years),  I did some digging and noticed my CPU in virtualbox was set to 1. I read that resetting my CPU would speed up the process so i pushed it to 8, double checked it terminal and it was set to 8, it's still running super slow with long estimated time a before. So my question is how can i speed up the cracking process? I've read I can use my GPU but I have no idea how. Thanks guys.
It is always advised to not use a VM (Virtualbox or otherwise) for hashcat, and not use The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) because of drivers.
Also, using a laptop GPU to much with hashcat can damage it since the laptop GPU was not made to operate under high load for a long time.

I'd try booting your laptop form a Live *nix distro and using hashcat from there. Or if you have windows on your laptop just use hashcat under windows.
(01-15-2019, 05:19 PM)DanielG Wrote: It is always advised to not use a VM (Virtualbox or otherwise) for hashcat, and not use The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)) because of drivers.
Also, using a laptop GPU to much with hashcat can damage it since the laptop GPU was not made to operate under high load for a long time.

I'd try booting your laptop form a Live *nix distro and using hashcat from there. Or if you have windows on your laptop just use hashcat under windows.

I've noticed the hashcat GUI in Windows with multiple options on what form of hashcat to use for cracking: hashcatplus, hashcatlite, etc. Does the GUI crack it faster? Also, why is it advised not to use hashcat in a virtual environment?
(01-15-2019, 06:49 PM)Bully0423 Wrote: I've noticed the hashcat GUI in Windows with multiple options on what form of hashcat to use for cracking: hashcatplus, hashcatlite, etc. Does the GUI crack it faster?
hashcat GUI is running the exact same hashcat you run on the cli otherwise. It cannot be faster. And if it has indeed options for oclhashcat-lite/plus it is also several years outdated.

(01-15-2019, 06:49 PM)Bully0423 Wrote: Also, why is it advised not to use hashcat in a virtual environment?
Because virtualized hardware does not work well with opencl.
(01-16-2019, 12:45 AM)undeath Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 06:49 PM)Bully0423 Wrote: I've noticed the hashcat GUI in Windows with multiple options on what form of hashcat to use for cracking: hashcatplus, hashcatlite, etc. Does the GUI crack it faster?
hashcat GUI is running the exact same hashcat you run on the cli otherwise. It cannot be faster. And if it has indeed options for oclhashcat-lite/plus it is also several years outdated.

(01-15-2019, 06:49 PM)Bully0423 Wrote: Also, why is it advised not to use hashcat in a virtual environment?
Because virtualized hardware does not work well with opencl.

So I'm having issues installing the proper drivers for hashcat. I was running Nvidia 390 but when I ran hashcat to crack my wifi it said I need to install drivers 367  or later. I've been doing reading and digging and all options have pretty much failed. I need help guys.
Laptop card + VM + slow algo = slow speed.
(01-17-2019, 10:13 AM)Mem5 Wrote: Laptop card + VM + slow algo = slow speed.

Yeah I noticed that. But I'm running on my host machine now and trying to install Nvidia drivers 367 so it can be compatible with hashcat cause it seems that the only version of drivers that will.
no need to install outdated drivers.
(01-17-2019, 10:14 PM)undeath Wrote: no need to install outdated drivers.

I can't crack the hash without it. It gives me a error saying I need 367 drivers 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
It will certainly not say that you need the 367 driver. Please paste the full error message.