Hashcat Can't Find Password Even though its in the Dictionary
Hey everyone,

I've got a dictionary that I created with cupp. In the dictionary it has the password I am looking for... but whenever I run hashcat (hashcat -a 0 -m 0 -O hash.txt dictionary.txt) it says it is exhausted.

If I apply a rule however it can find them, even though like I said the passwords are there without any need of word manipulation. Its also not a very large list only 235 words.
There's no way to reproduce this if you do not attach files to do so.
Oops my bad! I thought they were attached. Also I used hashcat's built in rule dive.rule, which made it work.

Attached Files
.txt   dictionary.txt (Size: 2.77 KB / Downloads: 15)
.txt   hash.txt (Size: 202 bytes / Downloads: 10)
.txt   plain.txt (Size: 38 bytes / Downloads: 14)
your dictionary does not contain the plaintexts
Are you sure? Because I see demarcus, auburn, kick, and _998111...
capitalisation matters. Besides, two of the lines in the dict are messed up. They contain mulitple words delimited by \r\r
(02-13-2019, 08:11 PM)undeath Wrote: capitalisation matters. Besides, two of the lines in the dict are messed up. They contain mulitple words delimited by \r\r

I see both kick and Kick. Also that may have been a windows issue with the \r\r I'm not sure. Which lines have the \r\r I can't see it with just notepad and my texteditor isn't picking it up either.

Attached Files
.png   dict.PNG (Size: 7.49 KB / Downloads: 9)
use a proper text editor. This is what vim shows (including leading line numbers)

Code:
  1 _998111^M^MCampbell^M
  2 Campbell_^M
  3 Demarcus^M
  4 Demarcus_^M
  5 Hacker^M^Mauburn^M^Mhashcat^M^MAuburn^M^Mkick^M^MKick^M
  6 Hacker2008^M
  7 Hacker2009^M
  8 Hacker2010^M
I will go fix that and try again!
It still doesn't work here is an updated dictionary.txt

Attached Files
.txt   dictionary.txt (Size: 2.78 KB / Downloads: 11)