Questions about 3090 cooling and form factor
Hi there,

I plan to build a cracking rig using 3 rtx 3090 gpus on a gaming mobo/case.

I plan on using the following components :
- x570 Taichi mobo
- fractale design meshify C case
- 3x rtx 3090 turbo

Will I need water cooling to keep all this cool ? The computer itself will be in a server room at constant low temperature (20C or lower if necessary, the room has a dedicated HVAC system).

More generally speaking, do you see any flaw regarding the use of 3 rtx 3090 on a x570 Taichi motherboard ? I'm concerned about the space needed by each graphic card :/

Thanks a lot for your insight !
(12-10-2020, 04:29 PM)almandin Wrote: More generally speaking, do you see any flaw regarding the use of 3 rtx 3090 on a x570 Taichi motherboard ? I'm concerned about the space needed by each graphic card :/

Not optimal in my opinion. The 3090 Turbo has no fan intake at the front, so all the air goes through the fan intake. Packing the GPU back to back might/will result in temp problems. I would useĀ  a differnt mobo where there is at least one slot space free between the GPUs, so one GPU every three slots. And a proper case with high airflow. The Fractal Design case seems to have only one fan at the front, but i'd go for at least three, high spinning. More air never hurts Smile
Thanks for your answer !

Unfortunately, having a free space between each card involves using a mobo with like 5+ pci slots, which starts to go out of budges :/

I wanted to design this rig with "standard" gaming components, and I get that its actually not optimal.

Would the GPUs just get too hot with no drastical impact on performance/safety, or is there a risk for it to just burn and not run at all ? Sad I have no experience in that field so ...
Or maybe using pci risers to space the GPUs a bit, but I dont know how to fit them in a standard gaming case :/

EDIT : using a case with a vertical GPU would allow to use slot 1 and 3 horizontally, quite spaced from each other, and slot 2 with a pci riser, for the vertical gpu, what do you think of that ? Wouldnt it be a good compromise ?
If your budget is not enough to afford an enthusiast platform, I think you should stick with two 3090s. I'm also not sure, how good three 3090s would run with a single PSU, given that two of them can already trigger the Overcurrent Protection on a 1000W PSU (https://youtu.be/i1dGQiNfCAc?t=432). It could still be fine though with a 1600W PSU and a "low power" CPU like a Ryzen 3600.

In terms of fans, I absolutely agree with Flomac. From my experience, the Enermax D.F. Storm (120mm) fans work fine, as they have 3500 RPM with good static pressure.

I would also recommend a mobo with an additional 6 PIN power connector for the PCIe slots.

Also, why don't you consider a Big Tower like the Corsair 750D Airflow Edition?
(12-11-2020, 10:33 AM)almandin Wrote: Unfortunately, having a free space between each card involves using a mobo with like 5+ pci slots, which starts to go out of budges :/

A Gigabyte Z 490 Vision D would be only slightly more expensive than the X570 Taichi mobo.

A proper case could be the Ultron Ultraforce Monster M1, which can be equipped with fans on the front, top, bottom and side.

As a PSU the Enermax Platimax with 1700W should be able to handle a setup with three cards.

But NoReply is absolutly right with a two GPU-version being much more easy to setup and handle .
Thanks for the answer,

For the Gigabyte Z 490, it has an intel socket which allows only to use CPUs with a few pci lanes, versus an AMD socket with enough PCI lanes for the 3 graphic cards + 1 or 2 nvme disks :/
Is there anything bad with the taichi one ?

For the PSU, I saw the Enermax one (there is even a 1800W one, which I think would be perfect, in order to have some extra watts just in case).

I get that sticking to only two GPUs would be a lot easier, but having 3 is already my second choice, we wanted to use 4 GPUs but I saw that this is much easy to setup a 3 GPU station with gaming hardware.

The Ultron Ultraforce case might be very good, but this brand is quite hard to get in France where I am. What do you think of the following case ? https://www.coolermaster.com/fr/fr-fr/ca...hite-argb/

It has a vertical gpu slot, allowing for better cooling (if I have two GPUs horizontally, on first and last slot, and on the middle one, only a pci riser leading to the vertical gpu) Smile

Thank you again for your patience
I bump my thread to see if people could confirm or infirm that the MOBO (x570 taichi) is a fine choice, and if it can support 3 GPU :o

Thanks a lot, and happy new year Smile