I don’t know where to start
Hello!

I’m looking for any help regarding an Ethereum Wallet Password that was created in February of 2018. I don’t know where to start with all of this, I would really appreciate any information that assist me in optimization of hashcat commands. Any recommendations for rules? Masks? I read about python, I believe it’s called or something that verifies the characters submitted and is able to crack the encryption. I might be way off here, I’m a total noob with this stuff. Ive been mining with this account since 2018, and have been greatly frustrated with the Ethereum network and wallet associated. Please help! 

Thank you so much for your time!
Hi, so ethereum is horribly slow to crack... on a good fast system may get 25 hashes / sec.
With that said, to crack the password it always goes the same: more information you have, better.
Yes you can crack it with a mask but again, if you have no place to start (nothing known about the password, don’t bother).

Next is, what kind of wallet is it.. my etherwallet (mew) is a json file and needs to be extracted... any other one I have little experience with.

To get a hash (which is the encrypted version of the password against which you would be cracking), you could use any online extractors and then use that with hashcat..
 It’s a bit of a learning curve but it may be worth it. If you are willing to part with some percentage you can always hire any type of service.. but very few of them offer ethereum cracking because it’s so slow and time consuming.
To give you an example: 25 hashes per second is what a top of the line ryzen cpu will do, a standard off the mill cheap gpu will do thousands of other hashes per second in any other hash typeSmile so if you have lots of info then fine Smile.