Hashcat on Laptop
Anyone know if any laptop are good enough for hash crack??
Speed on laptop vs desktop??

I am very newbie and just wants to learn so don't really it fast.

Thanks!
Andy
Any laptop should work. Recommended ones are ones with an AMD GPU for oclHashcat. for CPU hashcat, and intel CPU might work better. not sure. In my experience, oclHashcat tends to keep the overall temperature lower and also performs better as well.

That being said, you should not be doing hash cracking on a laptop for long periods of time. Laptops are not really designed for the huge workloads that hash cracking programs achieve.
Thank you!!!!!

(09-25-2013, 11:58 PM)Mangix Wrote: Any laptop should work. Recommended ones are ones with an AMD GPU for oclHashcat. for CPU hashcat, and intel CPU might work better. not sure. In my experience, oclHashcat tends to keep the overall temperature lower and also performs better as well.

That being said, you should not be doing hash cracking on a laptop for long periods of time. Laptops are not really designed for the huge workloads that hash cracking programs achieve.
keep in mind that laptops do not have the same thermal design as desktop or server chassis, and thus cannot tolerate a lot of heat for prolonged periods of time. you do not want to run any jobs that take longer than an hour or two on a laptop, or it will die a swift and painful death.
Thank you!!! I tried to using HASHCAT cpu.. it works. It takes about 1hr for 7 digit bruteforce with all the characterset I can think of on the keyboard.

(09-26-2013, 06:30 AM)epixoip Wrote: keep in mind that laptops do not have the same thermal design as desktop or server chassis, and thus cannot tolerate a lot of heat for prolonged periods of time. you do not want to run any jobs that take longer than an hour or two on a laptop, or it will die a swift and painful death.