Installing AMD Catalyst on newest version of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) (32)
So...

I have been at this for DAYS!!! I do not want to install windows and run a The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) vm or anything.. i just hate windows, to much maintaining.

Anyways:

I have installed 32bit The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) linux on my computer and before doing anything i updated to the latest kernel version (3.12) and then saw that the beta driver for catalyst only supported it, so i went ahead and installed it there.. but.. It gave me an error during the installation:

(Something about DKM and fglrx not properly compiling [i will have the exact error for you guys tomorrow).

So I did aticonfig blahblah and rebooted (also added radeon.modeset to grub) then when i try to go into system settings (to change display) it gives me an error:

The program gnome-control-center received an X Window System error.

SO i googled around for 4 hours and FOUND NOTHING TO FIX IT. I tried reinstalling, purging, and i even removed gnome and tried to use KDE THEN that gave me an ERROR! (Seg fault when trying to actually run catalyst and what do you know.. NO FIX).

So i was wondering, has anyone got AMD catalyst to work with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)-1.06 (whatever the newest version is with Kernel 3.12).. Because i haven't and i could really use some help here.. Worst case scenario i have to install windows 8 (school has it for free), but i want to try to get this to work..

System:

Intel Pent G2020
2x Radeon HD 7870 [only have one installed because they didn't come with a crossfire bridge -.-]
MSI motherboard
32gb RAM
1000W PSU

so yeah.. anyone get it to work? Because i would love to know.. it always seems the problem is Xserver and the actual driver fglrx..

Thanks in advance and for reading some of my anger (4 days............).

P.S. I have tried with the following operation systems to install:

Ubuntu 32 and 64 never worked..
The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) 32 and 64 never worked.. (partially.. booted fine but would not let me open some gnome things [i have tried kde and others.. nothing..]).

Also, for some reason whenever i run (apt-get update even apt-fast update) it takes for ever at the end to Read package lists... (literally about 25-30 minutes to finish..) this happened after i accidentally had a duplicate entry into the sources.list file so does anyone know how to fix this?
After reading all this, Windows is not that bad after all... From what I read in this forum, The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) seems to be difficult to work with. Sorry that I can't help you with this issue but I could not resist posting the first liner.
Did you see the post here?
http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-2940-pos...l#pid17561

The user seems to have solved his problem with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)
(01-15-2014, 02:22 PM)vrposter Wrote: Did you see the post here?

The user seems to have solved his problem with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)

I am going to test that "solution" now, i am being hopeful

Did not work with me, the patch works but it doesn't actually fix the problem (also: he doesn't give enough detail on which file to edit to add the new method manually..)
Exclamation 
(01-16-2014, 12:50 AM)3kings Wrote:

Did not work with me, the patch works but it doesn't actually fix the problem (also: he doesn't give enough detail on which file to edit to add the new method manually..)
Seems we ended up in same corner, a dark one it is for now.
The way that patch from above mentioned link works is this:
Patch kcl_acpi.c file from the following folder
Code:
/catalyst/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c
using this command --
Code:
patch -Np1 --verbose < NEWpatch
Modify firegl_public.c file from the following folder
Code:
/catalyst/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c
function "KCL_GetEffectiveUid"
Code:
return current_euid();
change it to -->
Code:
return __kuid_val(current_euid());
And then install from /catalyst folder using the following command
Code:
./ati-install.sh 13.251 --install

This ultimately doesn't do anything. AT ALL.
Code:
fglrxinfo
or
Code:
amdcccle
still crashes.
I've asked Kolasa from git for some help. We will see how it goes. But until today (17/1/2014) there's no fix yet.
There's a second method you can try (installs fine).. See details here. Using my method in there you can install 13.251, this will even install fine, but you end up in more issues. (i.e. libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 error) and amdcccle crashing. Also Kernel 3.12 will complain no fglrx driver found with an unloading error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. Interestingly fglrxinfo and glx_gears will work using this second method. But as we all understand unless kernel can load the module, this is not useful in anyway.
I'm truly baffled with this issue. Searching for a better solution
I had help as well from someone on this forum and here was my solution:

install the BETA driver on a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit while making sure the 64 library is linked (see this thread and my post for ALL the details to get it working on Ubuntu 13.10: http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3044.html)

Then after i got it installed perfectly i went and merged The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) tools onto ubuntu (install synaptic and added the repos to my list **make sure you install jave before opening synaptic [15% of dependicies errors in synaptic is caused by not having java installed]).