Cooling
I have just built a PC with i7 hexacore 32gb ram aorus z320 MB 700W PSU and a 1080 ti 11gb. I need to set my fans to 100% to keep it under 80c. Is this normal and if it is how long could I keep it running for with out breaking it.
It sounds like you need to improve airflow in the case, or move the system to a cooler room (or both). Running cards hot is a gamble, and I'd concentrate on getting the cooling resolved rather than guessing how long they might survive.
~
80C isn’t HORRIBLE, though I do try to keep mine under 75C. As Royce suggested, check that there is good airflow over the card. Helps to move it in the center most PCIe slot so air can get around both sides. Also, make sure nothing is blocking the exhaust!

You can try removing the side panel on the case and see if the temps drop a bit, though some people say it’s a bad idea because it kills the cool intake “stream” that flows through the case normally.
One thing that you can also double check is the thermal paste. I've had times where I applied to much or to little paste and there wasn't a good mate with the cooler which messed up my temps under load but idle was only a little high.

Something to consider looking at.
Ambient temp can play a part in high temps, you didn't mention what the ambient temp is. I've always enjoyed open chassis, it's the way to go. Also, which brand 1080 Ti do you have ?

(05-14-2018, 12:40 AM)cyrus104 Wrote: One thing that you can also double check is the thermal paste. I've had times where I applied to much or to little paste and there wasn't a good mate with the cooler which messed up my temps under load but idle was only a little high.

Looks like he's talking about GPU not CPU.

(05-15-2018, 12:52 PM)undeath Wrote: GPUs have thermal paste, too
Obviously...
(05-15-2018, 12:39 PM)GOD Wrote: Looks like he's talking about GPU not CPU.
GPUs have thermal paste, too
GTX 1080 Ti stands temperature of max 91 C. 80 C isn't low temperature. Did you install additional fans on PC case?
When cracking for a while my 1080Ti gets to about 82c @ 80% fan (Also cracking with a 970 which gets to about 78c @ 80%) with the side-panel off and my ambient is about 20c.

Mind sharing your ambient temp and specific card?
Generally, I think 82 C temperature is high for any graphich card. Maybe, it's normal for these GTX 1080 Ti series. My GTX 1050 never gets more than 65 C at full load. There are five additional fans on PC case and ambient temperature is about 20 C too.
(05-15-2018, 09:03 PM)camer333 Wrote: Generally, I think 82 C temperature is high for any graphich card. Maybe, it's normal for these GTX 1080 Ti series. My GTX 1050 never gets more than 65 C at full load. There are five additional fans on PC case and ambient temperature is about 20 C too.

You’re comparing 640 cores at 75-100W with 3584 cores at 250-300W. Of course a 1050 will always run cool.