Basic Questions - Hashs
Question 
Sorry for such a basic question - How does hashcat actually get "hashes" from a Windows network. The network is "switched-based". Please, any help is appreciated.

Add on: I'm really disappointed that no one has replied to this post. I'm just asking for some basic information. Every "noobie" has to begin somewhere!

James
You are very inpatient. Also this forum is about cracking hashes, not acquiring some.
(10-18-2012, 07:13 PM)jharris473 Wrote: How does hashcat actually get "hashes" from a Windows network
Hashcat DO NOT do that.
Read the wiki to know what hashcat is doing.
Thank you "Mem5". Let's face it, in order to crack hashs you first have to acquire them. That's a no brainer!! So, back to the question at hand - How is everyone gathering their hashs, with emphasis on a windows network? I would love to hear everyone's methods. Thanks, James

"Undeath" I apologize if I offended you. It was not my intention.
How to extract hashes ?
You can use fgdump, pwdump, ophcrack, samdump, etc. Let google find it for you.
(10-18-2012, 07:13 PM)jharris473 Wrote: Sorry for such a basic question - How does hashcat actually get "hashes" from a Windows network. The network is "switched-based". Please, any help is appreciated.

Add on: I'm really disappointed that no one has replied to this post. I'm just asking for some basic information. Every "noobie" has to begin somewhere!

James

You edited your post not even 2hrs after posting to state that you are disappointed no one had replied. Are you completely ignorant of the fact that everyone on this forum is 1. a volunteer, and 2. geographically dispersed, and likely not in the same time zone as you? Good grief. Not a very good way to introduce yourself to the forum.

Anyway, your question is out of the scope of this forum. Hashcat does not currently support any Windows network hashes such as netntlm. The hash algorithms that Hashcat currently supports are system, database, and web application passwords which can only be gained through active exploitation. The only network algorithm Hashcat currently supports is WPA/WPA2. In either scenario Hashcat cannot get the hashes for you, you have to obtain them yourself.

Good luck.