Performance
(01-31-2013, 04:39 PM)epixoip Wrote: i just read back through where you stated you have "24 Intel Xeon X5650." what this probably means is that the /virtual host/ has 2x X5620, for a total of 12 physical cores and 12 logical cores via hyperthreading.

what your vps provider then does is figures out the 95%ile load over a given period to determine how many virtual machines they can squeeze onto each virtual host. typically they will determine they are able to create 2x-3x more virtual machines than the number of cores in the system -- usually counting hyperthreading "cores" as well. so on a 24 core host there are probably 48-72 virtual machines all sharing resources.

Are you sure? The server is being severely and yet it works perfectly. Wouldn't make sense for me to be able to host such a big server from my laptop if they're almost equivalent.
you left out a verb there. severely what?

anyway, yes, i'm quite well informed on how the vps business works, because i used to run a company that sold vps. you have to oversubscribe to be competitive, otherwise you would be charging several hundred dollars a month per vm.

"it works perfectly" because of things like preemptive scheduling and fast context switching. but you'll never get the full performance of even one core out of that cpu unless all the other vms are idle.

you are also probably severely overestimating the amount of resources you're actually using on the vps. whatever you're doing probably could just as well be hosted on your laptop.
(01-31-2013, 06:45 PM)epixoip Wrote: you left out a verb there. severely what?

anyway, yes, i'm quite well informed on how the vps business works, because i used to run a company that sold vps. you have to oversubscribe to be competitive, otherwise you would be charging several hundred dollars a month per vm.

"it works perfectly" because of things like preemptive scheduling and fast context switching. but you'll never get the full performance of even one core out of that cpu unless all the other vms are idle.

you are also probably severely overestimating the amount of resources you're actually using on the vps. whatever you're doing probably could just as well be hosted on your laptop.

Severely used* Missed that.

Well the VPS is on a OpenVZ container. If I wanted to get the processor info, would I not be able to do it outside of the VM?
you can get the processor info from inside the vm, but that doesn't mean you're actually getting all of that. you can assign four vprocs to a vm, doesn't mean you'll actually get full use of four cores. i think you're not understanding the "virtual" part of "virtualization."
(02-01-2013, 12:16 AM)epixoip Wrote: you can get the processor info from inside the vm, but that doesn't mean you're actually getting all of that. you can assign four vprocs to a vm, doesn't mean you'll actually get full use of four cores. i think you're not understanding the "virtual" part of "virtualization."

Certainly not, I'm sorry but this is the first time I've dealt with virtual enviroments.
as clearly evidenced by your wonderment at how your "business processors" are barely faster than your laptop.
if it helps, i tested an old hashcat a while back on an e5. Here are the results

System Spec:Intel E5-2650 x2 with 32GB of ram, Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit
Testing: HashCat 0.41 AVX

Benchmark

mode 1000 (ntlm), attack 3 (bruteforce), charset -1?l?u?d?s ?1?1?1?1?1, threads 32, hashes 151
Speed 151 Million

mode 100 (sha1), attack 3 (bruteforce), charset -1?l?u?d?s ?1?1?1?1?1, threads 32, hashes 299
Speed 140 Million
(02-01-2013, 06:00 AM)epixoip Wrote: as clearly evidenced by your wonderment at how your "business processors" are barely faster than your laptop.

There's no need to be mean about it, I just wondered how could a processor on a VPS handle hundreds of thousands of users daily on the site and im getting the same speed on my laptop. That would mean that from my laptop I could host a website that handles hundreds of thousands of users daily? interesting...
people severely overestimate the amount of resources they need to do things like run a website.