You need -exactly- Catalyst v13.1 for very good reasons
(02-03-2013, 01:03 AM)epixoip Wrote: The way I upgraded my servers from 12.8 to 13.1 was:

Code:
stop lightdm
sh amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall=force
rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
reboot -f
sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run
amdconfig --adapter=all --initial
reboot -f

Maybe give that a shot if you start running out of options.

Tried it. Same problem.

Thanks again, epixoip.
Just a quick update.

Multiple uninstalls and reinstalls have made no difference. The 13.1 driver is installed properly and functioning properly, still no dice with hashcat.

There's got to be something else I can do as the --force option does make it run, but it doesn't produce any results. Checking status over and over shows absolutely no change or progress.

Anyone have any other ideas?
you're the only person to report such an issue, and all of your symptoms point toward bad driver install. something just isn't right with your setup.
Please, show me where it's wrong.

We've covered that my driver is installed correctly. I even used your method removing it and installing it again, but still nothing.

You can't just claim PEBKAC for each case. Some of us know a little about what we are doing.
get some 5gb partition, install ubuntu there and test of it works. If it does your other installation is screwed.
(02-04-2013, 07:16 PM)Wolf_Blitzer Wrote: Please, show me where it's wrong.

We've covered that my driver is installed correctly. I even used your method removing it and installing it again, but still nothing.

You can't just claim PEBKAC for each case. Some of us know a little about what we are doing.

we've covered that it appears you are going through the correct steps to install the driver; however, since we are not you and cannot see everything that is happening, there's no way for us to know for sure. what we do know is that all of your symptoms point toward an incorrect driver installation.

i can certainly claim pebkac when no one else can reproduce your issues. i don't doubt your technical aptitude, but i'm telling you, something is not right. whether there are still bits left behind from a different version, or something is screwed up with your distro, it's not clear, but something is wrong.

take undeath's advice and do a clean installation of ubuntu 12.04 lts per the wiki.
So I installed regular Ubuntu (Mint is just an Ubuntu fork, after all) 12.10 on my other machine yesterday before I left for work.

With NOTHING ELSE installed after the fresh install, I proceeded to install the driver (for a Radeon HD 5970 on this other machine), rebooted. Checked it all. Versions are all up-to-date, driver is functioning flawlessly and, to be honest, it just looks nice. Though I hate Unity.

Anyway... same error, different machine, different hardware, same driver.

So if you want to claim PEBKAC here, it has to be with the driver check implemented in hashcat at this point.

I am sure hashcat is a fine program for doing what it does, but the driver checks need to be a bit more loose than they are right now. I've got the same errors on two different machines running the same base OS under different brand names (Linux Mint versus Ubuntu).

So as I said before... I am sure the AMD drivers are more than partly to blame for this. The other part is too strict a driver requirement in hashcat.

Next step?
Also... it was Ubuntu 12.04, not 12.10. Sorry.

Though, Linux Mint 14 (which I run normally on my main machine) is based on Ubuntu 12.10, 13 before it was based on 12.04, etc.
More information. I tend to forget to do this from time to time.

inxi:
Code:
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts XT [Radeon HD 6800 Series] bus-ID: 02:00.0
           X.Org: 1.13.1.901 driver: fglrx Resolution: 2048x1152@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series GLX Version: 4.2.12002 - CPC 9.012 Direct Rendering: Yes

See anything out of place?
i have now upgraded seven different machines to 13.1, and i cannot reproduce :/

atom is at a conference this week, but hopefully he will get a chance to read this thread. i'm not sure what all of the checks are that he is doing, but maybe he can work with you to determine which check is failing, and if necessary, improve the checks in hashcat.