Starting with OSX
Hello. I spent a while trying to look for helpful videos, tutorials, etc. There is next to nothing for Mac. I thought maybe here I could find help.

I am running a MacBook Air, 10.8.3 Mountain Lion.
I've downloaded the most recent version of hashcat.
I need help.

I could beat around the bush and lie, but I prefer to be blunt. It always seems to work out better. I have no idea what to do. I'm basically a script kiddie. Help. Please.
the program syntax is the same for all operating systems.
https://hashcat.net/wiki/

good place to start
I mean what do I type into Terminal to get it to work? I already downloaded password lists from rockyou and right now I'm looking for a MD5 hash list to practice on.
no one is going to hold your hand. you need to do some reading. you do not need osx-specific guidance, as the syntax is the same for all operating systems.
(03-28-2013, 10:49 PM)epixoip Wrote: no one is going to hold your hand. you need to do some reading. you do not need osx-specific guidance, as the syntax is the same for all operating systems.

Hello,

I can't find any info about oclHashcat-plus and Mac OS X. I tried to run this example :

sudo ./cudaHashcat-plus64.bin -m 500 example500.hash example.dict
./cudaHashcat-plus64.bin: ./cudaHashcat-plus64.bin: cannot execute binary file

But I get an error, so I think hashcat is not compiled for Mac OS X?? Has anyone managed to run hashcat-plus on Mac OS X??

Thanks!
John
There is currently no way to run oclHashcat-* on Mac since Apple does not provide a cross-compiler for the OpenCL Kernels. This is required since oclHashcat is not open-source.
(03-28-2013, 05:28 AM)Sami Wrote: Hello. I spent a while trying to look for helpful videos, tutorials, etc. There is next to nothing for Mac. I thought maybe here I could find help.

I am running a MacBook Air, 10.8.3 Mountain Lion.
I've downloaded the most recent version of hashcat.
I need help.

I could beat around the bush and lie, but I prefer to be blunt. It always seems to work out better. I have no idea what to do. I'm basically a script kiddie. Help. Please.

1) download hashcat , NOT oclhashcat
2) unzip
3) look for the file with a .app
4) From terminal [path to] ./hashcat-0.46.app --help
5) read --help. pause. repeat. have coffee. repeat again.

- do not click on the .app file
- moving hashcat to MacintoshHD will save you a lot of typing
- you can always drag hashcat into terminal to save you the typing (of a long path because you skipped the above)
- ditto with renaming hascat-0.46.app into "Hashcat"
(08-03-2013, 03:40 PM)KZug Wrote: - you can always drag hashcat into terminal to save you the typing (of a long path because you skipped the above)

What about tab completion ? Have you heard about it, kid ?

You should read about using of unix' shell a lot, guys. Your lack of knowledge about shell, and generally about unix systems, makes me cry.
(08-04-2013, 09:03 AM)Kuci Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 03:40 PM)KZug Wrote: - you can always drag hashcat into terminal to save you the typing (of a long path because you skipped the above)

What about tab completion ? Have you heard about it, kid ?

You should read about using of unix' shell a lot, guys. Your lack of knowledge about shell, and generally about unix systems, makes me cry.

Tab completion:
Oh yeah! Great idea!
You want to suggest to someone to use tab comp. when he -apparently- struggle with the 101?
Maybe he could also build his own GUI for a start? That would prevent any typos. -just read xcode for dummies and you'll be good to go. 30min max...

"Kid" "lack of knowledge" "makes me cry"

Your Highness, Master of *nix, King of terminal, Emperor of Shell.
We are eternally grateful that you deign share your omniscience with us, simple mortals.
Nevertheless, we would like to point to his Highness that he sounds awfully like a condescending braggart a little bit too full of himself.
Thankfully, his Highness can always do a sudo g0 fsk -yrslf to correct the issue.