PCI Expansion Chassis - Experiences, anyone?
Ugh, yeah, this dude clearly has no idea what he's talking about.
(02-12-2016, 06:49 PM)Flomac Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 05:17 AM)mamexp Wrote: If we're  talking about double digits setup, i dont see why we stick with the limitation with air cooling. 

16 slots can support 16 cards fine. Just cut off the output plates....
This chassis cannot even feed 8 GPUs electrically and needs an outside power source. What a hassle. With 16 GPUs and the even bigger outside power source AND water cooling that hassle turns into a nightmare.

Which chassis? There are a few being talked about here. I certainy did not mean any particular one. Just pointing out if physical limitation is caused by air cooling. There is an option.

As for being a nightmare, it depends on individual knowledge doesnt it?
(02-12-2016, 07:47 PM)mamexp Wrote: Which chassis? There are a few being talked about here. I certainy did not mean any particular one. Just pointing out if physical limitation is caused by air cooling. There is an option.
You pointed out 16 slots so I assumed you've been talking about the Magma chassis. Didn't get you just wanted to throw in a comment.

(02-12-2016, 07:47 PM)mamexp Wrote: As for being a nightmare, it depends on individual knowledge doesnt it?
Again, we're talking about a custom made water solution in a chassis that's not been made for water cooling (any of the above).
And talking about knowledge: How many 8-GPU-rigs with water cooling have you build?
(02-12-2016, 08:00 PM)Flomac Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 07:47 PM)mamexp Wrote: Which chassis? There are a few being talked about here. I certainy did not mean any particular one. Just pointing out if physical limitation is caused by air cooling. There is an option.
You pointed out 16 slots so I assumed you've been talking about the Magma chassis. Didn't get you just wanted to throw in a comment.

(02-12-2016, 07:47 PM)mamexp Wrote: As for being a nightmare, it depends on individual knowledge doesnt it?
Again, we're talking about a custom made water solution in a chassis that's not been made for water cooling (any of the above).
And talking about knowledge: How many 8-GPU-rigs with water cooling have you build?

I'm not just throwing a comment. Watercooling the GPUs is independent of the chassis. If the other issue is electrical power like you said then its not due to watercooling is it?

The chasis does not have to be "built" for watercooing. I think you go it totally wrong when i said watercooling. Are you thinking i'm gonna use "gamer" setup for this?

The real question have you actually seen or used watercooled rack in production?
Oh I get it now! mamexp is really an Asetek intern, trying to sway us all over to water.