Determine WPA2
#1
Hi, I'm new to this topic and here in the forum.
If I made my first post in the wrong place, I'm sorry. My English is not that good, please excuse me.
how can I determine a WPA from a .hccapx?
I tried it with

Code:
./hashcat-src/hashcat -d 1 -m 0 -a 0 WILLY.hccapx dicts/rockyou.txt --potfile-path WILLY.pot

Mein system ist ein MacBook Pro M1 mit macOS 14
If any information is missing, I will try to provide it.

That's the error I'm getting
Code:
hashcat (v6.2.6-850-gfafb277e0) starting METAL API (Metal 343.14) ======================== * Device #1: Apple M1 Max, 10880/21845 MB, 32MCU OpenCL API (OpenCL 1.2 (Feb 10 2024 00:43:19)) - Platform #1 [Apple] ==================================================================== * Device #2: Apple M1 Max, skipped Minimum password length supported by kernel: 0 Maximum password length supported by kernel: 256 Hashfile 'WILLY.hccapx' on line 1 (HCPX): Token length exception Hashfile 'WILLY.hccapx' on line 2 (): Token length exception Hashfile 'WILLY.hccapx' on line 3 (): Token length exception * Token length exception: 3/3 hashes   This error happens if the wrong hash type is specified, if the hashes are   malformed, or if input is otherwise not as expected (for example, if the   --username or --dynamic-x option is used but no username or dynamic-tag is present) No hashes loaded. Started: Sun Mar 10 18:58:04 2024 Stopped: Sun Mar 10 18:58:04 2024
Reply
#2
WPA2 requires mode 22000 -m 22000 (you're using MD5 mode 0)
You might have to convert your cap to 22000 format:
https://hashcat.net/cap2hashcat/

./hashcat-src/hashcat -d 1 -m 22000 -a 0 WILLY.hccapx dicts/rockyou.txt --potfile-path WILLY.pot
Reply
#3
(03-10-2024, 09:34 PM)drsnooker Wrote: WPA2 requires mode 22000  -m 22000 (you're using MD5 mode 0)
You might have to convert your cap to 22000 format:
https://hashcat.net/cap2hashcat/

./hashcat-src/hashcat -d 1 -m 22000 -a 0 WILLY.hccapx dicts/rockyou.txt --potfile-path WILLY.pot

thanks
I have the file under Linux
Code:
cap2hccapx.bin WILLY.cap WILLY.hccapx
converted
If you run it with the change, I get the same error
Code:
% ./hashcat-src/hashcat -d 1 -m 22000 -a 0 WILLY.hccapx dicts/rockyou.txt --potfile-path WILLY.pot hashcat (v6.2.6-850-gfafb277e0) starting METAL API (Metal 343.14) ======================== * Device #1: Apple M1 Max, 10880/21845 MB, 32MCU OpenCL API (OpenCL 1.2 (Feb 10 2024 00:43:19)) - Platform #1 [Apple] ==================================================================== * Device #2: Apple M1 Max, skipped Minimum password length supported by kernel: 8 Maximum password length supported by kernel: 63 Hashfile 'WILLY.hccapx' on line 1 (HCPX): Token length exception Hashfile 'WILLY.hccapx' on line 2 (): Token length exception Hashfile 'WILLY.hccapx' on line 3 (): Token length exception * Token length exception: 3/3 hashes   This error happens if the wrong hash type is specified, if the hashes are   malformed, or if input is otherwise not as expected (for example, if the   --username or --dynamic-x option is used but no username or dynamic-tag is present) No hashes loaded. Started: Sun Mar 10 21:35:03 2024 Stopped: Sun Mar 10 21:35:04 2024
Reply
#4
Did you try opening the WILLY.hccapx in a text editor?
The hashes should look like the 22000 mode hashes. The exact same lengths, number of characters between '*' etc.
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes
If not there is some other issue...
Reply
#5
hashmode 2500 (WPA binary hash format hccapx) is outdated and has been replaced by hashmode 22000 (WPA ASCII hash format hc22000).
cap2hccapx converts dump files to hccapx format (PMKIDs are not supported), so it is outdated, too.

Please read:
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=cracking_wpawpa2

BTW:
rockyou.txt is an ancient wordlist.

Try one of these:
https://wpa-sec.stanev.org/?dicts
https://hashmob.net/resources/hashmob
Reply