NVIDIA VS. Radeon
Hi everyone,
I do understand that Radeon is the better GPU for cracking hashes than NVIDIA. However I would like to ask how bad is NVIDIA! I have the Alienware 18 which is suppose to have the best GPU but apparently the alienware's CPU is going as fast if not faster that the GPU ! I read online one of the recommendations for a penetration tester would be to buy a gaming laptop like an Alieware and buy a mobile radeon with it! are mobile radeon's better than built in nvidia GPUs?
Thank you,
This post has so much bullshit in it, it gave me cancer.

Quote:I do understand that Radeon is the better GPU for cracking hashes than NVIDIA.
Most of the time the ratio speed/price is higher for AMD.

Quote:However I would like to ask how bad is NVIDIA!
It's not bad, but for hashcracking specifically it's less good than AMD.

Quote:I have the Alienware 18 which is supposed to have the best GPU but apparently the alienware's CPU is going as fast if not faster that the GPU !
Two things :
Some algos like bcrypt will run faster on a good cpu.
Mobile gpu are obviously slower than their "desktop" counterparts.

Quote:I read online one of the recommendations for a penetration tester would be to buy a gaming laptop like an Alieware and buy a mobile radeon with it!
Did you read that on Alienware forum itself or something ?

Quote:Are mobile radeon's better than built in nvidia GPUs?
See first answer.
(04-18-2014, 09:01 PM)Xanadrel Wrote: This post has so much bullshit in it, it gave me cancer.

Quote:I do understand that Radeon is the better GPU for cracking hashes than NVIDIA.
Most of the time the ratio speed/price is higher for AMD.

Quote:However I would like to ask how bad is NVIDIA!
It's not bad, but for hashcracking specifically it's less good than AMD.

Quote:I have the Alienware 18 which is supposed to have the best GPU but apparently the alienware's CPU is going as fast if not faster that the GPU !
Two things :
Some algos like bcrypt will run faster on a good cpu.
Mobile gpu are obviously slower than their "desktop" counterparts.

Quote:I read online one of the recommendations for a penetration tester would be to buy a gaming laptop like an Alieware and buy a mobile radeon with it!
Did you read that on Alienware forum itself or something ?

Quote:Are mobile radeon's better than built in nvidia GPUs?
See first answer.

Im not sure why you got so iffended but here is one of the resources:
http://blog.erratasec.com/2011/06/passwo...1HbIFeTmoR

Kindly dont bother reading if this is giving you cancer and you think its bullshit!! My CPU is faster even with cracking MD5 hashes than my NVidia.

I looked at some numbers online and the comparison between nvidia and radeon is something like radeon in 10 times faster in cracking hashes. as this forum is about hashcat im obviously referring to the graphic card being bad at hash cracking not bad in general
Then next question is, did you actually benchmark the gpu (with -b) ?
A not well tuned attack on gpu can make the gpu seem to be slow.

And my point with alienware is that it's quite expensive for the stuff you really get.
(04-19-2014, 03:56 AM)Xanadrel Wrote: Then next question is, did you actually benchmark the gpu (with -b) ?
A not well tuned attack on gpu can make the gpu seem to be slow.

And my point with alienware is that it's quite expensive for the stuff you really get.

I agree with you about the alienware, I was just making a point regarding the comparison! it was strange to me that on that article they are actually recommending a mobile radeon over the Nvidia thats in the alienware knowing that mobile GPUs tend to be slower.

I did benchmark and I think the MD5 gave the following results:
workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel

speed GPU1: 1075.9 MB/s
speed gpu 2: 1074.8 MB/s
speed gpu.#*: 2158.7 MB/s

I also did an actual test of trying to crack one md5 hash with a 146 million wordlist (i made the hash uncrackable as per to the wordlist) when running with gpus I get the attempt done in 10 secounds while it only take about 2 to 5 seconds through cpu.
I thought wordlists are not the best for gpu cracking so i tried the same with pure bruteforcing but achieved the same results
hmm never mind on the CPU is faster than GPU, I was using the wrong arguments! GPU is actually a lot faster Smile sorry about that
(04-19-2014, 08:28 AM)khawasli Wrote: hmm never mind on the CPU is faster than GPU, I was using the wrong arguments! GPU is actually a lot faster Smile sorry about that

Well you don't have to say sorry, there was no argument here to begin with "CPU is faster than GPU at cracking hashes". Haha.. you got me... maybe bcrypt.. anyways:

/thread