Separator Unmatched
I am using the hashkiller.dict.txt file as my dictionary and i get get the following on each possible password in the dictionary, what separator is it looking for?

Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 1 (tf): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 2 (V3): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 3 ( 3O): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 4 ( E{): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 5 (!J6): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 6 (!Nt): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 7 ("<p): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 8 ("?8): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 9 ("Pw): Separator unmatched
Hashfile 'hashkiller-dict.txt' on line 10 (#/p): Separator unmatched

----Snip---
Thanks in advance
-joe
you need to specify the file with hashes (the "hash file") first:

for dictionary attack (-a 0) it is:
Code:
hashcat -m 0 -a 0 -w 3 hashes.txt wordlist.txt

as you can see, you need to specify the file with hashes (hashes.txt) before the file with words (wordlist.txt)
(04-26-2020, 08:57 AM)philsmd Wrote: you need to specify the file with hashes (the "hash file") first:

for dictionary attack (-a 0) it is:
Code:
hashcat -m 0 -a 0 -w 3 hashes.txt wordlist.txt

as you can see, you need to specify the file with hashes (hashes.txt) before the file with words (wordlist.txt)

I did do that...here is the command i used:

hashcat -m 1420 myunshadow.txt hashkiller-dict.txt
make sure that each line of the file myunshadow.txt has hashes fomatted in the correct way: https://hashcat.net/wiki/example-hashes

or use
Code:
hashcat -m 1420 --example-hashes

to see how the lines must look like.

My guess is that you have a hash file with invalid hashes.

but just look above, hashcat told you:
Code:

so you definitely did something wrong before and incorrectly specified the hashkiller-dict.txt file as a hash file
(04-26-2020, 09:22 AM)philsmd Wrote: make sure that each line of the file myunshadow.txt has hashes fomatted in the correct way: https://hashcat.net/wiki/example-hashes

or use
Code:
hashcat -m 1420 --example-hashes

to see how the lines must look like.

My guess is that you have a hash file with invalid hashes.

but just look above, hashcat told you:
Code:

so you definitely did something wrong before and incorrectly specified the hashkiller-dict.txt file as a hash file

I guess i dont understand because hashcat isn't complaining about the hash file its complaining about the dictionary file.
Thanks for helping, i appreciate it
That's not the correct assumption.

It literally just said:

Code:
Hashfile 'xyz' on line 6 ...

The most important part is the "Hashfile" part. The filename of course is not what the error message is all about, it is just what you specified in the command line (an arbitrary file name).

It doesn't matter how you name your files or if they contain "dict" for wordlist etc...

The only important thing is that the command line and all its arguments are correct (and in some cases they also need to be in the correct order).

just try the example500.sh (or for windows example500.cmd) from the hashcat folder and see how the commands normally look like. of course the example500 file is for -m 500 and therefore you need to adapt both the hash type (-m) and the hash file (example500.hash into myunshadow.txt).